Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Listen, Learn and Laugh-In Person, With A Real Person

Over the past few days I have had the pleasure of meeting and speaking to a few experienced and high powered people. Included are the former Director of 3 of the largest hotels in downtown Atlanta, the former President of a large multinational firm and a marketing director. What did all three meetings have in common? It made me realize that actually meeting people face to face and just listening to their experiences is one of the most beneficial and entertaining things you can do. The people that I met had story on top of story, both funny and serious. Too often though we are victims of technology (funny because this piece of technology I am writing though is allowing me to voice this opinion) and it has made us bad listeners. We just don't have the patience for it. If we are actually meeting someone face to face most of the time the person on the other end of the table is to busy calculating what they want to say next that they miss what you are trying to say. People are the most valuable tools we have and we should appreciate them more. Not only that, but just spend some time listening to people. Its intriguing, and educational. Meeting someone and connecting with them is like plugging your laptop into the Internet....you are instantly tapped into their stories, their contacts, their experiences, and their advice. Why wouldn't you want to have as many of those connections as possible? I say we need to take the time to meet more people, and listen to what they have to say and what they have to offer. You never know how they could help you, how you could help them, or what you might learn in general. I was laughing my ass off at some of the stuff I was hearing....and if that's all that I got out of it (which it wasn't-there was much more) then so be it, I am ok with a new friend and a laugh

No comments:

Post a Comment